Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Friday, August 3, 2012

Preparing for Birth

This week Nick and I started to formally focus on birth education and preparation. I have been reading a book about Hypnobirthing and watching YouTube videos of hypnobirths and find it to be quite fascinating. Since we had already signed up for childbirthing classes through Seton hospital, I wasn't about to register for a Hypnobirthing series as well. Instead, I found a local therapist who specializes in hypnosis and contacted her about meeting with us for the specific purpose of training for birth using hypnosis as a tool for relaxation and pain relief.

When I first mentioned this idea to Nick about 6 weeks ago, he was supportive of me doing it. I called and talked to the therapist and she asked if I had a birth partner (yes) and if he was supportive (yes). I said that he wasn't really into "this kind of thing" and that I would be coming on my own. She said that it would be best if Nick came with me. I discussed it with him and he was agreeable, but was firm on the fact that I would be the one being hypnotized, and not him.

So we went Monday for our first visit. Like most therapy sessions, the hour flies by. I cant say that I was hypnotized, but the whole process felt like a meditation exercise or a relaxation tool. The therapist guided me through breathing and imagery. She tried to levitate my arm, which was not really working and encouraged me to practice every day. I am supposed to think of "safe place" images over the newt two weeks. Nick's role will be to help guide and coach me and support me with verbal and physical cues. His role in the session was basically an observer. At moments it did feel a little awkward. I would try not to laugh and was thinking about what he must be thinking! We go back in 2 weeks.

Wednesday night our 6-session childbirth classes started at Seton. They are from 7-9 p.m. every week and the first one was pretty basic. There were about 8 couples in the class and three of us all have the same due date, September 21! That was kind of funny. I was getting really tired by the end of it. We watched a 12-min birth video and learned birth lingo and stages of birth. It's hard to believe that we will be putting all of this into practice in just 7 weeks.

Today I am 33 weeks pregnant and I can officially say now that it's August, we are going to have baby NEXT MONTH!!


No comments:

Post a Comment